“Find the Magic in your Heart” Mixed Media
Created by Sophia Vida
I created this piece for the Readers Challenge in Somerset Studios. The rules were to create mixed media art in black and white with a little color, if so desired. Although my submission didn’t make it in the magazine, I had a lot of fun creating this piece and wanted to share it with you.
I love black and white. It’s a classic and beautiful color combination. I’m always in awe of artists who create gorgeous art with these two colors. But for me, this was quite a challenge since I love lots of color. It definitely took me out of my comfort zone, but in a good way.
For this Project you will need:
– 8 x 10″ Canvas
– Golden Fiber Paste
– Stencil of your choice
– Palette Knife
– Washi Tape
– Scrap paper
– Cardstock – Black
– White tissue paper
– Script Stamp
– Black Chiffon 18″ x 2″
– Staz On Ink – Black
– Distress Ink – Black Soot
– White Acrylic Paint
– Fine Paint Brush
– Paper Clay
– Sharpie Metallic Silver Pen
– Silver Square Jewelry Embellishments
– Heart Shaped Punches – Medium and Small
– Matte Mod Podge
– Black Floss
– Stylus with small point
– Aleene’s Tacky Glue
– Small sponge applicator
– Clean water and paper towels
- Adhere torn pieces of paper and washi tape to 8” x 10” canvas.
- Using fiber paste and a palette knife, add stencils to your canvas. Let dry.
- Using a script stamp and Staz On Black Ink, stamp images on your canvas.
- For more texture apply torn pieces of white tissue paper to your canvas. Partially cover some of the stenciled and stamped images. Let dry.
- Apply a thin wash of Gesso over parts of your canvas, making sure not to completely cover the background.
- Distress edges of canvas with Black Soot Distress ink. Let dry.
- Using a black Gelato, make a wash and distress parts of your canvas. Let dry.
- Seal canvas with a coat of Matte Mod Podge.
- Cut an 18” x 2” strip of chiffon, wrap it around the canvas and tie a bow, cut off excess. Add fabric flower.
- Adhere embellishments and sentiment to your canvas.
- Create a 3” heart from paper clay. Smooth over rough edges with your finger and a little water. Stamp a design on the front. Add holes around the edges. Roll the right side of the heart down. Let air dry according to manufacturer instructions.
- Distress the heart with Black Soot Distress Ink.
- Punch out large and small hearts from brightly colored cardstock, distress edges with Black Soot Ink and add highlights. Adhere to your canvas, just behind where the paper clay heart will go.
- Using black floss, sew the heart onto the canvas.
- Finish by accenting your embellishments and canvas with stickles. Let dry and Voila! You have a beautiful work of art!!