This is a fun and easy project to do. Zentangling is a great way to relieve stress by creating repeating patterns. Plus painting is also a great stress reliever and gives it that pop of color!
For this Project you will need:
– Sakura Micron Pens in varying sizes
– Ecoline Liquid Watercolor or any other Watercolor Paints you have on hand
– Colored Pencils
– Watercolor Cold Press 140 lb Paper, 8″ x 8″ square
– Niji Waterbrush – Medium
– Glitter Paint
– Paper towels
- Start by cutting a piece of 8″ x 8″ watercolor paper.
- Lightly draw two lines in the middle vertically and horizontally. Next lightly draw lines diagonally from corners to corners.
- The middle of the paper is where all the lines intersect. Using your compass, draw a 3.25″ circle. Keeping your compass in the middle extend it outward and draw another circle approximately 4″ in size. This will give you the ring around her face.
- Using a ruler draw your rays. The lines you drew in Step 2 will be in the center of each ray which measures 1.5″ at the base of the sun. The rays at the 3, 6, 9 and 12 positions measure 1″ across the top at the edge of the paper. The corner rays should have their points meet in the corners.
- Once you like your basic design, gently erase the intersecting guide lines.
- Using a blue watercolor paint, paint the areas in between the rays. Let dry.
- Using a bright yellow watercolor paint, paint the sun and the rays. While the paint is still wet, add a little orange watercolor to the base of the rays and let the colors mix. Paint the outer circle of the sun orange and allow the orange to run into the edge of the inner circle of the sun. Let dry.
- Once your paint has completely dried, you can start by outlining your sun with a Micron #05 pen.
- Using a Micron #03 pen, draw your zentangle patterns in the sun rays and outer ring. You can fill all of the rays with patterns or just the ones in the 3, 6, 9 and 12 positions. The choice is yours. Be creative.
- Using a pencil, lightly sketch in her face. Once your happy with the result, use the Micron #01 pen to draw it in. Draw the eyelashes with the Micron #005 pen.
- Paint her lips with a pink/reddish watercolor paint and let dry. Give her a little blush on the cheeks and highlight her eyes with paint.
- Using a colored pencil add shading around her face and edges of the rings. I used an orange pencil on the edges of her face. I then used a sketching pencil around the rings and on her face for shading.
- Once your satisfied with your sun, paint a few of the rays with Glitter Paint for a little bling and Voila! You have a one of a kind Zentangle Sun!
Hope you enjoyed!
Thanks for stopping by!
Visit my Shop on Etsy: ColorExplosionStudio