“Valentine’s Day Cards – Mixed Media”
Created by Sophia Vida
I was inspired by a pin I saw on Pinterest so I started this project with a watercolor wash on a 9″ x 12″ piece of 140 lb, cold press watercolor paper. Once that was dry, I added more color by distressing different areas with Distress Inks in Fired Brick, Mustard Seed, Picked Raspberry and Spiced Marmalade. Next, I used a stencil with Walnut Distress Ink. I also stamped several Valentine’s images with Memento Rich Cocoa Dye Ink.
I let everything dry well and traced a few different sized hearts onto my paper with a Dark Brown Sharpie Marker. I wanted the hearts to be semi-transparent so I painted them with FolkArt Metallic White Pearl Paint mixed with FolkArt Floating Medium. I used this same technique with the leaves in my journal that I blogged about here: Mixed Media Art Journal – Take 4. Then I added highlights and trimmed off the top edge from the spiral pad and cut the remaining paper into 4 equal parts.
For the next step, I created tags on the computer that I punched and distressed. I had bought these small 1.75″ red satin hearts on clearance last year and was thrilled to put them to good use.
I adhered my watercolor backgrounds to 4 cards measuring 4.5″ x 6.25″. The last step was to glue the tags and hearts to the fronts of the cards and Voila! I had 4 unique Valentine’s Day Cards!
- Strathmore 9″ x 12″ Watercolor Paper, 140 lb, Cold Press
- Assorted Watercolor Paints: Fuchsia, Yellow, Red, Orange
- Distress Inks: Fired Brick, Mustard Seed, Picked Raspberry, Spiced Marmalade, Walnut
- Memento Rich Cocoa Dye Ink
- FolkArt Metallic White Pearl Paint
- FolkArt Floating Medium
- Dark Brown Sharpie Fine Point Marker
- Assorted Valentine’s Day Rubber Stamps
- Stencil of your choice
- Tag Punch
- 4 Red Satin Hearts – 1.75″
- 4 Pre-made Cards with envelopes: 4.5″ x 6.25″
- Dry Adhesive
- Watercolor brush