As you know I’ve been having lots of fun with Andrea Gomoll’s YouTube videos. I found one more which was actually for a journal page. But I thought her technique in this video for using photos would make a cool mixed media canvas. The end result is fantastic and you don’t have to be a sketch artist to do it. You can find Andrea’s video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkayRQg5guA
For this Project you will need:
– Golden Fiber Paste
– Stencil(s) of your choice
– Palette Knife
– Matte Mod Podge
– Sharpie Fine Point Pen
– Americana Acrylic Paints: Turquoise Blue, Bright Yellow, Irish Moss, Royal Fuchsia
– Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist: Pink Bubblegum, Riptide, Pearl
– Stamps: Butterfly, Script
– White paint
– 10/0 Round Fine Paint Brush
– Black Staz-On Ink
– Flower and Butterfly Ephemera
– Assorted Gelatos
– Assorted Stickles
– Sakura Glitter Gelly Roll Pens: Pink, Blue, Green and Yellow
– Martha Stewart Crocheted flowers (set of 4)
– 9″ x 12″ canvas panel
– Aleene’s Tacky Glue
– Small sponge applicator
– Clean water and paper towels
- Cover your canvas with gesso. Once dry add torn pages from a magazine or book and pieces of paper doilies using Mode Podge. Let dry.
- Find a photo of a cute bunny and enlarge it so that it measures approximately 5-1/2″ high. Cut it out and set aside.
- Paint your canvas with blue, yellow, green and fuchsia paints. Let dry.
- Add a thin layer of fiber paste to your canvas using the palette knife. Let dry.
- Adhere your bunny to the bottom left of your canvas. Let dry. Then apply a thin coat of gesso over your bunny. Let dry.
- Color your bunny with white, gray, pink and blue gelatos. Use your finger to blend the colors. Once you have the desired result, outline your bunny with the sharpie marker. Draw in the eye, nose, whiskers and snout with the marker as well. Add more color with gelatos where necessary.
- Adhere the butterfly and flower ephemera using Mod Podge. You can add more color to these pieces with gelatos. Outline them with sharpie and add any detailing. Note: If your ephemera is small you may want to color gelatos on a coated paper plate and then dip your brush in a little water to activate the colors. This will make it easier to apply and blend.
- Apply gelatos dry to your canvas. Adding shading around the bunny, butterfly and flowers. Also add more color to your canvas where needed. Blend with your finger.
- Mix small amounts of yellow paint and fiber paste. Apply your stencil using the palette knife to right side of your canvas. Let dry.
- Print and cut out a “Hop into Spring” sentiment from your computer using the Harrington font, size 50. Outline the words with your sharpie pen. Color in the centers of the letter with the Gelly Roll pens. Adhere to the center of your canvas with Mod Podge. Let dry.
- Randomly stamp your script and butterfly stamps on your canvas.
- Using the fine paintbrush add highlights to the bunny, butterfly and flowers with a little white paint. Let dry.
- Add Stickles to the flowers and stencil. Let dry.
- Adhere your Martha Stewart Crocheted flowers to the bottom of your canvas with tacky glue.
- Spray your canvas with a pink, blue and pearl Angel Mist. Let dry. Voila! You have a beautiful Mixed Media work of art!