Smash Book Journal
(created by Sophia Vida)
Yvonne Gebauer has a wonderful blog that I love reading at MyCraftingTherapyRoom. She is very a talented and creative person who inspired me to make this smash book journal after reading her post titled “Our first big snow fall and a link to a Smash Book video.” In her post she has a link at the bottom to a YouTube Video where she explains how she made her beautiful Smash Book Journal.
If you are new to Smash Books, you use them to journal your thoughts and memories with written words, pictures, drawings or anything else you feel like putting in them. They are a great place to keep your memorabilia and they make a very special keepsake for years to come. They also make wonderful gifts!
I started this project using an assortment of papers I had on hand. But then I came across the Le Tres Chic Stack and couldn’t put it down. So I quickly switched gears and took the road to Paris. I also found a canvas covered chipboard album at Michaels that I decided to use as my base to give the pages more sturdiness.
I had so much fun putting this journal together. You can change the theme and customize this to anything your recipient may like. The possibilities are endless!
For this Project you will need:
– Treasures Fleur-de-Lis Rubber Stamp by Shabby Chic
– Inkadinkado Stamp Set: Far Off Posts (Set of 4) LM808376 (08376)
– TPC Studio Vintage Greeting Rubber Stamp Set 2011903
– Yarn: White
– Assorted Sheer and Semi-Sheer Ribbon: Pink, White, Black, Fuchsia
– Tim Holtz Vial Labels #TH92993
– 6 Mixed Media Trading Cards measuring 2.5″ x 3.5″
– 1 Invitation Envelope measuring 4-3/8″ x 5-3/4″
– 1 Large Index Card
– Paper Roses
– Stardust Stickles
– 14 White Rhinestones
– Large and Small Heart Punches
– Assorted Corner and Border Punches
– Hole Punch
– Staz On Black Ink
– Glue Stick
- On your computer, print in Palace Script, Size 80: My Smash Book. Cut out individual pieces. In Palace Script, size 70 print: Tres Chic. Cut out both words in 1 piece. Distress the words a little. Set Aside
- Plan your layout by picking the pages you want to go together. For the front and back covers (inside and out) cut four 6.5″ squares. Mark the holes on the back of the cardstock and punch out.
- For the inside pages cut twelve 6″ squares. Mark the holes on the back of the cardstock and punch out.
- In the Tres Chic Stack there is page with preprinted tags. Cut the tags out. Punch holes at the top. Distress the back with your choice of colors. Next cut 6 pieces of white yarn and 3 pieces of semi sheer pink ribbon about 10″ in length. Loop these through the center of the tags. Trim ends. Set aside.
- Trace 2 index cards, side by side on the back of your choice of cardstock. Cut it out into 1 piece. Fold in half and glue together. Trace your holes and punch out. Set aside.
- Glue all cardstock squares from steps 2 and 3 into your chip board book. Assemble your book with the 3 binder rings.
- Cut out the flower and boa feather from one of the pages in the stack (this will be used to make a pocket for 3 of the tags). Adhere the left and bottom edges to the bottom left of one of your pages. Once dry, slip 3 tags inside the pocket.
- Skip a few pages and insert your index card as an additional page.
- Skip a page and cut a 2″ x 6″ piece from your choice of cardstock. Use the border punch on the edge (this will be used to make another pocket for 3 of the tags). Adhere the left, right and bottom edges to the bottom of one of your pages. Once dry, slip 3 tags inside the pocket. You can also cut out an additional image or stamp in image onto your pocket.
- Distress the front and back of the invitation envelope with your choice of ink. Stamp the Just 4 You on the front, center of the envelope. Randomly stamp the posts on the envelope. Stamp the fleur-de-lis on the back flap of the envelope. Add a liner to the envelope from the Tres Chic stack and glue into place. Insert 3 sheets of the Tim Holtz labels in the envelope.
- Cut out the word Paris from the beige cardstock. Add a little flair by using a border and corner punch. Adhere this to the middle of a page.
- Cut a 4″ x 6″ rectangle from your choice of cardstock (this will be used to make a pocket page for 3 of the tags). Fold in half and adhere the left, right and bottom edges together. Cut out the Paris tag with flowers from the cardstock and adhere to the front of the pocket. Once dry, slip 3 tags inside the pocket.
- For the back inside cover, cut a 3.5″ x 6.5″ piece from your choice of cardstock. Use a border punch on the top edge (this will be used to make the last pocket). Adhere the left, right and bottom edges to the bottom of your page. Once dry, slip 6 trading cards inside the pocket. Punch 2 large and 3 small hearts from coordinating cardstock. Adhere to front of the pocket.
- Cut about 30 pieces of assorted sheer and semi sheer ribbon in varying sizes from 8″ to 10″ long. Tie about 10 pieces to each binder ring. You may need more or less cut pieces depending on the width and thickness of your ribbon.
- Randomly adhere the cut out words from step 1 to the front cover of your book.
- Randomly adhere the rhinestones to the front of your book.
- Randomly adhere the 3 paper roses to the front cover of your book. Highlight the rose petals with the Star Dust Stickles. Let dry. Voila! You have a beautiful handmade Smash Book.
Thanks for looking and have lots of fun making this super fun Smash Book Journal!
Smash Book Journal pages in order:
For more Crafting Tips and Techniques visit our main website at Just4Crafters.com