Candy Corn Witch Hat
Created by Sophia Vida
I’m so excited to share with you my first fall project! I love candy corns. They’re so much fun and I had to find a way to use them for a Halloween project. After a little brainstorming I came up with the Candy Corn Witch Hat. It’s really easy to make!
For this Project you will need:
– Large paper mache witch hat (about 12 inches tall)
– Acrylic Paints: Folk Art School Bus Yellow and Black
– Candy Corn Candies
– Mode Podge: Matte
– 18″ white netting
– Black Pom-poms: 1 large and 1 small
– 2 small wiggle eyes
– 2 Yellow/Orange Pipe Stems
– Letter Cling Stamps and Acrylic Block
– Staz On Stone Gray Ink
– 1/2″ yard Orange Boa
– Sponge brushes
– Aleene’s Tacky Glue
– Glue Gun
– Wire cutters
– 1/2″ flat brush
– Clean water, paper towels, wax-coated paper plates for paint palette
- Basecoat the top of your witch hat in black paint using the 1/2″ brush. Apply 2-3 coats in all and let dry in between coats.
- Basecoat the bottom and inside of the hat with 1 coat of the black paint using the 1/2″ brush. Let dry.
- Basecoat the rim of the hat in yellow paint using the 1/2″ brush. Apply 2-3 coats and let dry in between coats.
- Using the glue gun, randomly glue candy corns around the top of the hat. Let dry.
- Place your cling letter stamps directly on the rim of the hat for 1 word. Once you have the correct placement, put your acrylic block of top of the stamps to pick them up. Ink the letters and stamp directly onto the rim of the hat. Repeat this step for each word. Let dry.
- Using your sponge brush, apply a coat of Matte Mod Podge to the entire hat. Let dry. Apply a second coat and let dry.
- Next apply a coat of Matte Mod Podge to the bottom of the rim with the sponge brush. Let dry.
- Using the tacky glue, adhere the small pom-pom to the large pom-pom.
- Using wire cutters, cut five 2″ pieces of the yellow/orange pipe stem. Bundle 4 of the pieces and twist the 5th piece around the center of the bundle to hold in place. Spread out the pieces and shape your spider legs. Cut off any excess.
- Glue your spider body to the legs with tacky glue. Next glue the wiggle eyes to the front of the small pom-pom. Let dry.
- Apply a generous amount of tacky glue to the inner seam of the hat. Wrap your boa around the hat and cut off any excess. Let dry.
- Cut a 12″ piece of netting and tie the center into a knot. Apply tacky glue to the tip of the hat and place the center of the knot over the hat. Let dry.
- Gently insert the spider feet into the netting and Voila! You have a one of a kind work of art!
Thanks for looking and have lots of fun making this Candy Corn Witch Hat!
For more Crafting Tips and Techniques visit our main website at Just4Crafters.com