Glass Holiday Ornaments
(created by Sophia Vida)
For this project you will need:
– Clear glass ornaments
– Plaid Extreme Glitter Paint (2 colors minimum)
– Thin ribbon in coordinating colors
– Dixie 5 oz Bath Cups
– Rubbing Alcohol
– Tape (Scotch Tape, Masking Tape, etc)
– Skinny Sticks (Flat wood craft sticks)
This is an easy project that makes a great holiday decoration for your home or tree. They also make great gifts for friends and family!
- Punch a small hole in the center of the bottom on a Dixie cup. The hole doesn’t have to be exact. Just big enough for the end of the ornament to fit through it. Then invert the cups as shown below.
Using your tape, secure the two cups together at the rims. This will serve as a drying station for your ornament.
- Remove the metal end from your ornament and pour a little rubbing alcohol inside. Swish it around and discard the alcohol. Let dry. This helps to remove any residue that may be inside of the ornament.
- Before opening, shake your Plaid Extreme Glitter Paint to mix. Using a skinny stick, scoop a small amount of the paint onto the stick and slowly let it drop inside of the ornament. Move it around to distribute inside.
- Choose a second complimenting color of paint and repeat step 3. Once you’ve added a little of the second color cover the hole with your finger and start rolling/twirling your ornament to distribute the paint. Add more paint as needed until you have the desired effect. Try not to add too much paint or it will take longer to dry.
- Turn your ornament upside down and place the open end through the hole in your Dixie cup and allow the excess paint to drip onto the bottom cup. Let dry. Check your ornament during this process to ensure the end doesn’t become clogged with an air bubble. If it is starting to clog, gently tap the ornament to or use a skinny stick to unclog.
- Once dry, replace the top of the ornament. Cut a piece of ribbon and tie it through the loop for hanging. Voila! You have a beautiful handmade holiday ornament. You can also place a group of ornaments inside a vase with iridescent snowflakes for a beautiful home decoration.
Tip: If you want to add a little texture, paint a design on the outside of the ornament using PermEnamel Accent Liner by Delta.
Thanks for looking and have lots of fun making these Glass Holiday Ornaments!
For more Crafting Tips and Techniques visit our main website at Just4Crafters.com